SURFIN' SAFARI SUMMER THREE - DAY THREE - JUNE 13, 2021



The Clippers were in the playoffs on TV early Saturday evening, so we made a sunset safari out to home court at Marina del Rey.

Once upon a time I was a Clipper fan, but my self-regard was too firm. No matter what star they sign, what coach, no matter what arena they play in, they will let their fans down. In the playoffs they are a disaster. Teams lose in the playoffs and win the hearts of their fans with noble play along the way. A Clipper playoff loss leaves one feeling cheap, used, and violated.

When the choice is between surfing and L.A.’s “other” basketball team, the former wins.

On Saturday mornings Anna’s family pays for a caregiver to come in and spell me for five hours. I spend it surfing. The outfit is called “Home Instead,” which must refer to the place their workers would rather be, because they are forever standing me up, as they did this week.

Both physically, and as to surfing, I am feeling quite strong and confident and want to enjoy these developments, so I took Anna out with me rather than forego a safari.

And although such entries aren’t as exciting as destination trips to San Diego, these local swings typify the true Surfin’ Safari Summer spirit; the times where a window of hours opens up and the only question is if it is wide enough to hit the water.

The board I have chosen for this Safari Summer is the right one for me. That’s a search that took some 16 years.


That's good. What was not good was how Anna would not stay on the blanket. Five separate times I had to exit and chase her down. I could mark her progress down the beach in a bright red shirt from the water and know just when to exit and sprint after her, which was part of my cross-training.

You have to be efficient.

This drama was almost incessant, yet it was a great day. During the intervals where she was on the blanket or still within eyeshot, I caught a whole slew of waves and pulled off moves I never have before. I am beginning to see things and make connections about surfing long shrouded beneath a veil. Better late than never, but this is what sustains me these days; reward for a thousand frustrating outings.

The Clips won the game. I wish them well, but am not buying in yet.

And I’m not buying that I can get Anna to do this for another summer. Where she has been calm for some months now, wandering has become a problem.

You don’t know. Do the safaris unsettle her? Is she bored at home or is that a projection upon someone who is fine, but just can’t tell you? Are you sure she needs to ‘get out of the house.’ Says who? Not her. Says you! There’s no way of knowing.

And nobody knows anything.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SURFIN' SAFARI SUMMER ONE - DAY TWO - June 15, 2019

SURFIN' SAFARI SUMMER ONE - DAY ELEVEN - July 27, 2019